Friday, May 4, 2012

Greens Dreaming

I was filled with a sense of accomplishment last night as I poured mustard and turnip greens into a pot coated with sizzling bacon fat. This was the last food I would fix for my youngest's third birthday feast. After a long day in the kitchen punctuated by caring for my oldest's first cold in a year, I felt no guilt from the knowlege that they were for my pleasure more than enyone elses.

The distinct taste of greens sprinkled with pepper vinegar has been a welcome comfort food since my childhood days. Not only could I enjoy some at our oft-visited Furr's cafeteria, but it was also a staple at my Grandmother's table. I hope to give my kids the gift of healthy comfort food addictons.

Normally we in America are addicted to unhealthy foods- though the term food hardly describes the stuff of pop tarts and fast food culture. Since adopting a Primal food base I am coming to embrace the healthier addictions I once shunned in place of convenience foods and treats.

Like so many others, I am recovering from a deranged relationship with food. I am becoming aware that a shift is settling in. My dreams used to be laced with french fries, ice creams, chocolate candies and muffins. This morning, however, as I chased the memories of dreams and conciousness flooded in, there was a new presence. Greens and cabbages, krauts and kim chee in all forms and variations. I was making them, plating them, and stood in awe as a seemingly endless buffet of silver platters and serving dishes stretched before me.

So how happy was I when I went to make a couple of over-hard eggs and noticed a ramiken on leftover greens?

Oh so very happy. Everything that's good is better as a frittata. Now, on to the continuing saga of keeping the home of two little mess-makers fit for human habitation.


No comments:

Post a Comment